Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CAPn Kangaroo!

I was lead to believe the roos would not taste good since Aussies don't eat them so I went to my old friend the internet to see what I could find after a friend gave me some roo steaks. A very lean meat, I learned it's best to marinate 'roo steaks in oil-based marinades. I read that native Aussie spices of course pair well with the meat but was unable to locate Australian spices in Rapid City. So I mixed up a variety I found in my cabinets and had a delicious meal. Served this time with Fried Green Tomatoes, pickled beets (delicious!) and whole-grain, gluten-free bread. I just wish I'd brought my camera!

Marinade:
1/2 c Coffee grounds
2 T cocoa
1 T cinnamon
1/2 c honey
1 c white wine or ww vinegar
1 c olive oil
1/4 c crushed black pepper
1 T cayenne
1 T salt


I put four 'roo steaks in the marinade and added enough water to cover, put it in the fridge for two days, and then grilled the steaks to medium rare. Yum! 

2 comments:

ChelseaD said...

Where did you get the meat from?

September said...

From a kangaroo, silly!