Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Can you eat only local foods for a week?

I think I can. I can make cheese and yogurt and I have the equipment to grind my own flour. This article is about a contest I apparently missed but I think I'll try it out next year. I've got a pretty good grasp on local and organic foods, but it's difficult to shop at the Farmer's Market because they don't take my food stamps. Much of what I find at the Farmer's Market, though, is available at Breadroot, our little local grocery co-op. And at Breadroot, the nutrient-dense super-foods are typically within 'reach,' affordable, that is. Breadroot has a program called Reach that allows them to sell the most nutrient-dense foods in their inventory at cost, and they offer different foods on Reach every week, depending on the delivery.
So maybe, yeah, I could. But I don't know. In South Carolina, I'd say no problem but some foods are different here. In SC, though, I wouldn't be able to get local bison, that's for sure!

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyles/article_11cb5b74-b7ab-11df-bd22-001cc4c03286.html

No comments: