Wednesday, May 12, 2010

National American University

Today Robbie and I both visited NAU in downtown Rapid City. Robbie's post was in the residence hall which serves as dorms for WDT and SDSM&T in addition to NAU students.
Last week, I hung posters at all the schools we would visit this week. I was pleased to see this displayed as you enter the main office!
I set up shop in the lobby of the main building. The student traffic there was nil but I was able to speak to several teachers and counselors from the Financial Aid office and several other faculty and staff members who were interested in telling their students about an opportunity with AmeriCorps. Nursing students graduate with an average of more than $50,000 in debt, many reaching the $70s. One year with AmeriCorps will alleviate a portion of that debt with the education award but with such a high loan amount, I suggested her students opt for the cash award which, if chosen, will forgive 15% of their Perkins loan. Since choosing the Segal Education award doesn't forgive any percentage of student loans, the cash award would actually help their outstanding loans more than the education award!
Here's me in the lobby. I'll be in next month's newsletter for NAU, Rapid City campus.

No comments: