Saturday, March 27, 2010

Partners Breakfast

Today Melissa, Amy, Tami, and I (Dominique) attended the first of our annual "Partner's Breakfast" fundraisers. I have to say that without Melissa and Amy the event would not have happened, they were super VISTA's!



I wanted to write about this event for a couple of different reasons. First, I always LOVE to travel so it rocked going to Brandon and being in a small town. I stopped at the gas station for some much needed gas station coffee (an addiction of mine). It was actually a bit creepy but totally fun.


Second, When I arrived at the Fundraiser most of the work had already been done and we ushered in the volunteers and then sat down to watch the presentations while munching on some yummy free breakfast. I have to say I was pretty impressed. The video was a GREAT marketing tool. I was already teary before the images even started because the music was so effective. Then the stories came, the images of the work with do and it was very touching. Finally, the personal testimonials were quite beautiful. At this point, when the young woman and her mother were openly discussing how Volunteers of America has helped her overcome her drug addiction and the long road to recovery, I found it very difficult to not cry. But, I am proud of myself...no weeping here.


Third, I am really happy to continue to see how much the VISTA's and those at Volunteers of America support each other and the work they do. It was a great way to start my weekend.


So thanks for the great start to my weekend, all the smiling faces, and the reminder of the importance of our work!


You Rock,

Dominique

No comments: