Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Foundation Center

For those looking for grant funding, the Foundation Center is a good place to start. However, what the user receives for free is extremely limited. Instead of trying to convince your sponsoring organization to shell-out $1,295 annually (good luck!), visit one of the state's three cooperating collections - for FREE!!!

The South Dakota State Library in Pierre is home to one of the collections. I spent three hours there this morning seeking out funders I wouldn't have otherwise been able to locate with the resources available to me. The staff was extremely helpful, I didn't have to pay for printing, and there wasn't a time limit.

For most VISTAs here in South Dakota, a cooperating collection is close by. I called the State Library last week to learn more about what they had to offer. The only thing they asked of me was to please call or e-mail a day beforehand to ensure staff would be available to assist me. This request may have been because I live 100 miles away; however, I'd still give them a call just to make sure.

No comments: